I Love Comments!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fathers Day

I wanted to take the time to tell you about a wonderful dad.  He isn't a Father..and doesn't want to "father" a child, he is happy with the one that calls him DAD.

This man sacrifices whatever it takes to make sure he has a good job, that makes enough to pay for our needs and his wants for Cam. He gets up every morning at 4:30. he gets home each night at 8:00.

On the weekends, he drags all his tiredness out of the house and we go to Carowinds, movies, to the park..whatever they want to do.  They throw the ball or ride dirt bikes, hang out doing "guy stuff".

He works extra hard on Saturdays to pay for things like horses, golf lessons, guitar lessons whatever that 12 (almost 13) year old boy wants.....


He does all this for my son, from my first marriage...a child that is not technically his, a child whose biological father has chosen not to know him...

When Wes and I started dating, he never asked me to get a sitter.  I had this 15 month old baby and every date we went on..Cam went to.   He would go with me to the store and ALWAYS buy Cameron something.  I remember telling him "Look, I'm a single mom, I can't afford for you to get him used to getting something every time we walk into the store"  Wes would just laugh and say "Let me worry about that"
(our first) Christmas together,  he spent more on Cameron than he did me. 

When he would pick me up to go somewhere it would be somewhere like Chuck - E - Cheese, McDonalds playground or the park. 

When Cameron was 3 years old his play school was teaching about mommy's and daddy's.  He was supposed to tell their names and where they worked.  Cameron had not seen my ex-husband in over a year and he was just not someone we talked about. When he came home he wanted me to take him to see Wes.  We were sitting there eating he looked over and said "Wes, I want to be your daddy...no...I want you to be the daddy...(sigh) I wanna call you my daddy"  Wes said "Okay"  Cameron was sitting there for a second then looked back and said "When Mrs. Cauthen says who is your daddy and where does he work I wanna say Wes Jennings is my daddy"  Wes said "Okay buddy, what ever you want"  I found out that he had already told them that Wes was his daddy..he just needed to know it was okay.

Wes has never played baseball...but you should see him outside trying to help Cam improve his game...
I can't imagine how hard it was to sell his motorcycle, the one "hobby" he has had since high school because between soccer, baseball and football there was never time to ride...

That man sacrifices more in a day for Cam than his biological father has in his whole life!!!!  

I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful DADDY for my son, God needed someone else to be his father but He sure sent  the right man to be his DADDY!! I'm so glad that He brought us together.



He is a wonderful dad...I always think of this song on Fathers Day, when Cam starts talking about what to buy:


I hope you all had a wonderful day with your fathers!

5 comments:

Heather said...

OH. That makes me have a tear. My kids don't call my husband, "Dad" but he has done everything he can for them.
There are still great guys out there and it sounds like you have one.
Very sweet.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Oh Kelly! This is beautiful! :)

My grandson, Jaden, has a man like Wes in his life and I thank God for Joe every day! Because Dirk chose to walk away. And honestly ... Jaden is better off for it! Joe is an awesome hands on daddy!

Love you, girl!

He & Me + 3 said...

Not even joking...that is one of the best posts I have ever read. What a special man you have in yours & Cam's life. That is a great song...you are right. Sounds just like your Wes. I hope that he had a fabulous Dad's day.

Rachel said...

Just amazing.

I love this, because I have one of those DAD's myself. And it means more than I can say - that he CHOSE to do this for me.

What an amazing person Wes it.

Michelle said...

That gave me tears. What an amazing daddy you found.

My husband is that way for our oldest daughter who is not biologically his. But in every other possible way.